Walmart sells fishing licenses in all U.S. states. You can get one in person or by phone. The process is quite straightforward, as long as you make sure you have a photo ID and proof of residency. Walmart stores sell licenses valid only in the state in which they are located.
If you enjoy fishing, you probably already know you need a valid license to fish in the USA. There are numerous ways to obtain this license, but one of the easiest is to get it at your local Walmart.
Walmart is one of the biggest retail chains in the USA, meaning you probably have their store in your neighborhood too. If your local Walmart has the Sports & Outdoors section, visit it and buy a valid fishing license there. If not, you can also purchase the Walmart fishing license by phone. Unfortunately, you cannot currently buy a license online.
I have done it in person, and I can vouch that getting a fishing license at Walmart is a quick and easy process. As long as you have all the necessary documents and fill out the form properly, you’ll be done in minutes.
Stay tuned to find out more about the Walmart fishing license cost and conditions! I’ll answer all the Walmart fishing license FAQs too.
Click to View Post Navigation
- What Is A Fishing Licence? Why Do You Need One?
- All You Need To Know About Walmart Fishing License
- How To Get A Walmart Fishing License
- What Information Do You Need For The Application To Get A Fishing License?
- Is It Possible To Get Your Fishing License At Walmart Online?
- In Which States Can You Buy A Fishing License At Walmart?
- How Much Does A Walmart Fishing License Cost?
- Types Of Walmart Fishing Licenses
- Tips For Anglers Who Bought Their Fishing License At Walmart
- Can you fish without a license in Florida?
- Can I get a Florida fishing license at Walmart?
- Are Florida fishing licenses free now?
- How much is a fine for fishing without a license in Florida?
- How do I get a fishing license at Walmart in Indiana?
- Does Walmart sell fishing license in GA?
- Can you get Texas fishing license at Walmart?
- My Final Thoughts
What Is A Fishing Licence? Why Do You Need One?
You cannot simply grab your fishing rod and tackle box and start fishing. To avoid problems, you must have a valid fishing license. Fishing licenses are permissions issued by the state authorities to target a specific fish species in a specific area.
The officers of the Division of Fish and Wildlife can approach any fisherman at any time asking for the license. But you do not have to show them the actual license – a reference or confirmation number will do.
The fishing license contains important information you must get acquainted with before you get out on the water. Depending on the laws in a particular state, the license stipulates how many fish you can catch and keep per day. You must adhere to all the terms of your fishing license, or you may lose it.
What if you are caught fishing without a valid fishing license?
If you are very lucky, your fish gets confiscated, and you get away with only a warning. However, most of the time, anglers fishing without a permit must pay a fine. If you are caught fishing without a license on more than one occasion, you might even end up in jail.
Breaking the law and being punished for it should be enough to keep anyone from avoiding paying a fishing license fee. Yet, you should really ask why these laws are necessary in the first place.
Fishing licenses are more important than we think. They prevent overharvesting and thus ensure no fish species is brought to the brink of extinction. By limiting the number of fish they can catch per day, the authorities ensure anglers do not harm wildlife. Almost one-third of freshwater fish face extinction, so you can understand the importance of having a fishing license and adhering to all of its terms.
If you want to enjoy fishing for years to come, you should be a responsible citizen and report whenever you see someone catching more fish than the catch limit allows. In this way, you can help the authorities prevent overfishing and control poachers or illegal fishermen.
After all, fishing licenses are reasonably priced. Most people can afford the fishing license cost. A free fishing license or reduced-fee sport fishing license is available in many states for seniors, children, veterans, and disabled people too. If you cannot get it in person, there are usually options to purchase the license online.
Fishing legally helps protect and conserve all water bodies in your state, including your favorite fishing spot. So, do not think twice about buying a fishing license! Educate your fellow fishermen to do the same.
All You Need To Know About Walmart Fishing License
Now that you know how important it is to have a fishing license whenever you go fishing, it is time to see where you can get one. There are two options in most states:
- Buying the fishing license by phone
- Buying the fishing license at a retail store
As Walmart is one of the biggest retail chains selling fishing licenses, it is one of the most popular options, too. Besides, in some states, you can even get the Walmart fishing license by phone, which can save you a lot of trouble.
How To Get A Walmart Fishing License
Getting a Walmart fishing license is a hassle-free process. As I have already stated, there are two ways to do it: in person and by phone. Let’s go through each of them!
If you want to have your physical fishing license in a matter of minutes rather than waiting for it for a couple of days, you must get it in the physical store. Simply visit the Sports and Outdoors section issuing the fishing licenses during regular business hours.
- Find the nearest Walmart that has the Sports and Outdoor department.
- Take your photo ID and proof of residency with you and find a Walmart employee working specifically in the Sports and Outdoors department. You can bring your driver’s license or a state-issued ID. A utility bill can also be used to prove your residential status and get a fishing license if the address in your ID does not reflect your current place of residence.
- Fill out the fishing license application form making sure you answer all the required questions.
- Pay the fishing license cost. The Walmart fishing license price is generally the same as in any other license-issuing office. Yet, depending on what store you choose, there can sometimes be a small issuance or processing fee too.
- Take your license and enjoy fishing!
In some states, you can get a Walmart fishing license by phone. It is an ideal solution for people who are not very keen on using the internet and do not have any Walmart stores in their neighborhoods.
The process is more-less the same as when applying in person:
- Call Walmart during regular operating hours and ask for an employee from the Sports and Outdoor department.
- Provide the necessary personal details so that this employee can fill out the application form for you.
- Wait for your Walmart fishing license to get approved. You can receive it by e-mail and print it or have it mailed. However, in my experience, it takes a while to get a Walmart fishing license through the mail. So, you might want to avoid this method, especially if you are in a hurry.
What Information Do You Need For The Application To Get A Fishing License?
- Your age (if you are younger than 16 or a senior, you might get a discount)
- The type of water you plan to fish in (to determine whether the license is for freshwater or saltwater fishing)
- Duration of the license (to determine whether you need a one-day fishing license, a monthly license, or a seasonal or annual Walmart fishing license). An annual license expires at the end of the year. If you want to purchase a fishing license in the fall, you might better invest in a seasonal one.
- How many licenses do you need? If you plan to fish with friends, each person will have to buy a fishing license.
Is It Possible To Get Your Fishing License At Walmart Online?
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Walmart changed its policies and made it possible for anglers to purchase their fishing licenses online. However, at this moment it is no longer possible to get your Walmart fishing license online.
If you cannot visit the Walmart store, you can try getting your license by phone. If that does not work for you either, you can always visit the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service website and check if your state offers a way to buy your fishing license online.
The good news is that most states have a website or an app that enables you to purchase a license online, so this should not be difficult – just not at Walmart.
Find out more about a digital fishing license in the video below:
In Which States Can You Buy A Fishing License At Walmart?
All states offer fishing licenses. However, each state has its own set of laws that regulate fishing. These laws dictate the conditions for issuing fishing licenses, as well as their cost.
So, which Walmarts sell fishing licenses? Practically all the states in the USA accept a Walmart fishing license. Therefore, you can get a fishing license at Walmart wherever you live. Your state government has authorized Walmart to issue a valid license you can use without getting penalized.
Do mind that every state has its own set of regulations regarding fishing – it has nothing to do with Walmart. You must obey the rules of the state you are fishing in, so you should best get acquainted with them before you get out on the water. For example, some states allow only catch and release, meaning you cannot keep any fish you catch.
Do not worry, though. When you get a fishing license at Walmart, you’ll receive a booklet with the most important dos and don’ts.
How Much Does A Walmart Fishing License Cost?
Fishing license fees are different from state to state. As I have already mentioned, many states offer discounts on fishing licenses for certain categories of people. For example, my father is a senior citizen (older than 65), and he gets his license for free. My friend takes his 12-year-old son fishing with him and has a discount when purchasing his fishing license.
You should check the conditions and licensing fees in your state. You may be exempt from paying fishing license fees (or at least get a discount) if you belong to one of the following categories:
- Active military personnel
- Senior citizens over a certain age
- Children under a certain age
In general, fishing license fees depend on the following factors:
- State issuing the license and whether the applicant is a resident or non-resident
- Type of fishing license (saltwater, freshwater, or both)
- License duration
- Age of the applicant
- Whether the license is issued as original or duplicate (when the original has been lost or stolen)
Many states organize free fishing days too. On these days, anglers can enjoy fishing without a license. The dates might change, so always check if you have to pay the fishing license fees.
You can also fish without a fishing license if fishing in the water body entirely within your property lines. This goes for your family, too.
If you decide to get a fishing license at Walmart, you should know that they might add a small fee to the regular fishing license cost. Also, be aware that Walmart stores sell fishing licenses valid only in the state in which they are located.
Learn more about fishing license costs in the video that follows:
Types Of Walmart Fishing Licenses
No matter which state you live in or how and when you choose to get your Walmart fishing license, you will have to decide what type of license you want to apply for. Here are the most common options:
Short-Term Fishing License
If you want to see if fishing is for you, or if you are visiting a state in which you plan to fish, you should best get a one-day fishing license. If you are staying a bit longer, you can consider a three-day license too.
You can get a short-term fishing license for either freshwater or saltwater, but the fees might differ. The short-term fishing licenses are sold at Walmart too. If you decide to purchase the annual license afterward (during the same year), some states might grant you a discount.
Long-Term Fishing License
It is more cost-effective to purchase a long-term fishing license. So if you fish regularly, you might want to consider seasonal or annual fishing licenses. All annual fishing licenses expire on December 31st, so it is best to get them early on.
Fishing enthusiasts should consider purchasing a lifetime fishing license. It offers the best value and saves you from thinking about renewal dates. You cannot get it if you are a non-resident, though.
Freshwater Fishing License
If you prefer fishing in a freshwater environment (rivers, streams, lakes), this is the best option for you. Some licenses combine saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing.
Saltwater Fishing License
If you live on the US coastline, or you are into surf perch fishing or saltwater pier fishing, you require a saltwater fishing license. You can get a saltwater fishing license at Walmart store, just like any other type of fishing license.
Tips For Anglers Who Bought Their Fishing License At Walmart
- Ensure you read, understand, and obey the rules stated in the booklet you receive with your Walmart fishing license.
- Make sure that you fish only where that is permitted and that you do not target any endangered species. Otherwise, you will be fined even if you have a fishing license. Both authorities and Walmart can issue a lifetime fishing ban.
- If you are taking children on a fishing trip, ensure they have a license too.
Can you fish without a license in Florida?
You cannot fish without a license in Florida unless you are exempt from recreational hunting, freshwater fishing, or saltwater fishing licenses. To be exempt, you must be a resident older than 65, younger than 16, or have a Florida Resident Disabled Person’s Hunting and Fishing License.
Can I get a Florida fishing license at Walmart?
You can get a Florida fishing license at Walmart. You can do it in person by going to the hunting and fishing section in your local Walmart and showing a photo ID, or you can get a fishing license by phone and mail.
Are Florida fishing licenses free now?
Florida fishing licenses are not free now unless you belong to a category that is exempt from paying the nominal fee. Most of the money you give for your Florida fishing license goes to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).
How much is a fine for fishing without a license in Florida?
A fine for fishing without a license in Florida is the licensing cost plus $50. The fine doubles to $100 if you are caught fishing without the license for a second time within 36 months.
How do I get a fishing license at Walmart in Indiana?
You get a fishing license at Walmart in Indiana by turning to an employee in the Sports & Outdoors section. The prices of a fishing license in Indiana differ if you are a resident or non-resident.
Does Walmart sell fishing license in GA?
Walmart sells fishing license in GA. You can thus get a hunting license at your local Walmart. Just visit the nearest store that has an outdoor section during regular business hours.
Can you get Texas fishing license at Walmart?
You can get Texas fishing license at Walmart as long as the store you plan to visit has a Sports & Outdoors section. The Walmart fishing license is the same as the one issued by the state of Texas and can be used statewide.
My Final Thoughts
Now that you know everything about Walmart fishing permits, you can get a new license and enjoy the great outdoors. Just make sure you always follow the rules and have fun!
Please share your experience of getting a fishing license at Walmart with me and my readers, too. It might be of great help!